Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Alaa Alkurashi
April 3, 2011
Baby Einstein
Reading Reaction Journal #2


Reference:


Physorg. (2011, November 5) Baby Einstein controversy: professor offers healthy language learning alternatives for young children. Retrieved March 31, 2011, from http://www.physorg.com/news176624111.html


Summary:


In this article the author wrote about a woman who studies language and cognitive development in young children; she discusses the importance of communicating, talking, reading, and paying attention to the child. She hates the idea of a child who watches TV because children can learn more and better if parents spend time talking to them. However, she gave many instructions that will improve the child's language skills. First, try to reduce the amount of commanding orders, such as do this, do that, and do not do this, and try to talk about other things that will interest the child. Also parents must be aware that every child is interested in what you are interested in. In other words, what you do is what your child wants to do.


Reaction:


Reading through this article and the tips that were given by Dr. French made me rethink about how I will raise my child, because when I am a father I want to teach my children the best and nothing else, yet I might use French's tips in the future. But the problem is that most of the new generation's kids are watching TV and playing video games all the time. My two nephews are examples; since they were babies they have gotten used to watching TV all day long, or while their mom is busy. And sometimes their mother uses TV as a distraction for them, so that she can cook, clean, and do housekeeping. This gives a few hours for the kids to watch TV, I think that it is all right to do that because they are having fun, but my sister (their mother) always reads stories, talk, and even makes them help her cleaning or cooking. I think TV and video games are okay for few a hours because parents can have free time to do their duties, so I think I might raise my children this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment