Thursday, April 21, 2011

Alaa Alkurashi
April 12, 2011
Baby Einstein
Reading Reaction Journal #3


Reference:


Carmichael, M. (2010, March 2). In defense of baby Einstein: The educational DVDs may not teach kids, but they help parents. Newsweek. Retrieved on April 12, 2011, from http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-human-condition/2010/03/02/in-defense-of-baby-einstein-the-educational-dvds-may-not-teach-kids-but-they-help-parents.html


Summary:


In this article which was written by a woman who claims that educational toys not educational, research showed that babies between ages 1-2 do not learn any language skills at all, but TV shows and videos can teach. Also before her 11- month daughter was born she made a study about Baby Einstein and she mentioned a story about these DVDs; in the story there were many developmental psychologists who had a negative point of view of Baby Einstein; they said " it does not give them feedback when they respond" but reading is much better than putting them in front of a DVD even if it was for learning. There was a report and it shows that TV is harmless, because most kids under 2 watch TV every day for hours. But kids who spend much time on TV are most likely to read less; also, she said that kids who spend that time watching TV are the ones who we should be concerned about because kids like that spend only 45 minutes of reading. Finally, the woman said that she did not buy any DVDs; she does not let her daughter watch TV, yet the girl learned a few words from her dad and mom. The author also said that when her daughter grows up she will be so smart.


Reaction:


This article is really one of a kind; I have never read such an amazing, interesting, and great article like this before. People should read articles like this because they will learn a lot and learn how DVDs are bad for babies. Actually the way she treated her daughter is awesome, because I realized that she is a brave mother. But while I was reading this article I realized that the fact TV makes children read less is true. For example, when I was a child and until now TV is something important to me, because of all the fun I had while watching it. But TV made me read less; it actually made me a person who does not read anything unless I have to. Seriously it is really sad for me because I like to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment